“Life is essentially an endless series of problems, Mark,” the panda told me. He sipped his drink and adjusted the little pink umbrella. “The solution to one problem is merely the creation of the next one.”
A moment passed, and then I wondered where the fuck the talking panda came from. And while we’re at it, who made these margaritas?
“Don’t hope for a life without problems,” the panda said. “There’s no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.” (quote from the book)
I loved this book. This is the first self-help book that I loved. Mainly, because it’s completely different from all other self-help books.
“A counterintuitive approach to living a good life” is this book’s subtitle. Fair, enough, it’s counter-whatever enough.
A self help book that
– uses the word fuck 186 times
– tells you that you are not special
– that you healthy relationships need argues
– you shouldn’t chase happiness
– you’re wrong about everything (just like everyone else)
– problems are a good thing
– failure is the key to success
– and that at the end you are going to die.
My kind of book!
A perfect book?
– I’m not all over nonfiction writing style. Neither New York Times Bestseller writing style. It’s powerful, it stays in your mind, it’s funny, people will buy it – but still, it’s a bit superficial for me.
– Like many (most?, all?) self-help books it tries to cover a lot of areas of life. It’s a bit too ambitious for me. The structure becomes a bit loose: it often feels more like a collection of articles than a book.
– Some chapters / articles are actually perfect. Wanna get an idea? Check out: The most important question of your life
I’ve been very glad to read a lot of ideas I already wrote about. I don’t have as good as a writing style as Mark. I don’t have any marketing very few read my articles. But many of the things I’m writing and thinking about made a New York Times bestseller 362 days ago. My own thoughts! How cool is that!?
And whose ideas these were first? Well, self-help is a couple thousand year old “industry”. There are no thoughts that didn’t exist before. Self-help is the knowledge that every generation has to learn over and over again for itself. The circumstances are different and there is need for new voices and new works (like Mark here!).
Thanks for James Clear, another favourite self-help writer for recommending this book!
Well, it’s time to drop an email to Mr. Manson. Have a nice read, you can find the book here!
Have you read the book too? What do you think about it? Let us know here or on our Facebook page!